The Executive Committee of the Global South Caucus for International Studies (GSCIS) is currently accepting bids to host a GSCIS conference in 2023. We especially welcome bids from individual members and academic institutions based in the regions of the Global South, i.e., Africa, Eurasia, Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East and North Africa, South/Southeast Asia and the Pacific. We will also consider institutions or research centers in other parts of the world that offer cross-regional or global south studies programs. Proposals to host a conference should include the following information:
- Brief description of the location and why it would be ideal for the GSCIS conference;
- Local organizing committee (at least, provisional), including the name, affiliation, position and contact information of the main person in charge;
- Venue for the conference (university campus, etc.) and a brief summary of available facilities and capacity, including estimated costs;
- Proposed dates with alternatives; *
- Information about transportation (flight connections, etc.) and accommodation (hotels, campus housing, etc.) with estimated prices;
- Potential for local sponsorship from both public and private entities (e.g., discounted airfare tickets, reduced hotel rates, tourist attractions, etc.);
- Rough budget estimates in USD;
- Bids to host a GSCIS conference should be sent to email@example.com by August 31, 2022. In the subject line, please indicate: “Proposal to host a GSCIS conference”. The Executive Committee will consider proposals and announce the venue in fall 2022.
* Please note that ISA HQ and other sections are planning to hold their postponed 2020-21 conferences in June-July 2023. Some of these will take place in the Global South, so to avoid potential conflicts due to overlapping dates and locations, we encourage interested hosts to contact the GSCIS Chair and/or any Executive Committee member and let us know of their intentions so we can discuss in advance all important issues. Please direct all inquiries and correspondence regarding bids to the GSCIS Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Since its inception in 2011, GSCIS has organized two conferences and one workshop in the following countries and regions of the world:
- The first GSCIS conference was held in Menton, France (November 2012)
- The second GSCIS conference was held in Singapore (January 2015)
- The only GSCIS workshop was held in Havana, Cuba (July 2017)