Each year, the ISA HQ receives a variety of proposals, outside the current ISA funding mechanisms, that ask for project support and make a financial request. During its 2017 meeting in Baltimore, the Governing Council renewed the special project grants program; proposals for funding are accepted from members and sections/regions/caucuses. To be considered, projects must benefit a group of ISA members (i.e., they can’t only go to one institution or a single member or to non-ISA members), and are not eligible for funding by an existing funding mechanism within ISA. The first deadline is July 15, 2018. The second proposal deadline is December 15, 2018, if there are budgeted funds remaining after the first round.
Basic Program Parameters:
- All proposals must focus on programming in the context of ISA activities and promise to provide direct benefit to some group of ISA members.
- All proposers must be ISA members.
- This program will not fund research projects, programs restricted to a proposer’s home institution, or projects that fall under existing ISA programs (e.g., the workshop grants program or the travel grants program).
ISA is pleased to solicit submissions for the 2018-2019 funding cycle. The first deadline for submissions is July 15, 2018, and the second deadline for submissions is December 15, 2018. Submissions should be sent to Lembe Tiky at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All projects would require:
- Project Rationale and Narrative – Max. 5 double-spaced pages.
- Project Budget (to include both dollar values and narrative explanations for proposed expenditures).
- Expected demands on ISA HQ staff time.
- Sustainability Plan – this section would focus on one of four approaches: 1) a one-time project; 2) a pilot project that would develop into a fee-driven model in subsequent years; 3) a pilot project that is proposed as a permanent ISA budget line-item; or 4) some other model not specified here.
- 2 page CV for each PI.
- All materials must be submitted as a single PDF file by the July 15th deadline to receive consideration. Proposals not conforming to these guidelines will be returned to the PI(s) and not considered during that cycle.
Types of Special Project Grants
Small Projects (under $2,500):
A maximum of $10,000 will be budgeted annually for these projects. Projects will be sent to the Executive Committee and any relevant committees for review and recommendation to the 2018 Executive Committee.
Large Projects (greater than $2,500 and no more than $25,000):
A maximum of $50,000 will be budgeted annually for these projects. Projects will be sent to the Executive Committee and any relevant committees for review and recommendation to the 2018 Executive Committee.