International Political Economy Section
International Studies Association
Outstanding Activist Scholar Award Nomination Form
ISA, Toronto 2019
Members of the International Studies Association are invited to nominate a candidate for the Outstanding Activist Scholar Award (OAS). Nominations using this form may be sent to Committee Chair: Hasmet Uluorta (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 26, 2018 for consideration by the selection committee.
In keeping with the criteria established by the IPE’s Outstanding Activist Scholar Award Committee in 2006, the award is to be given to a person who has successfully straddled academia and activism. Past recipients are Susan George, Walden Bello, Frances Moore Lappé, Richard Falk, Mike Davis, David Graeber, Naomi Klein, Angela Davis, Medea Benjamin and Jackie Smith.
Nominators must explain how the nominee meets each of the five criterion. If additional space is required, please do so at the bottom of the document. Incomplete applications cannot be assessed for the award.
Name and affiliation of Nominator:
Email address of Nominator:
Name and affiliation of Nominee:
Email of Nominee:
1. The awardee should have a record of writing that is used and recognized within the academic community.
2. The awardee should have a record of work that moves beyond academia into activism. The awardee should be an active participant in some civil-society, activist community.
3. Activism in this case means active involvement not just through writing. The awardee must be more than just someone whose work is used by activists.
4. The award is not meant for someone whose role, however important, is to popularize writings. The awardee must be more than someone whose work reaches a broader, non-academic audience.
5. To the extent possible, the award is meant to be given to an Outstanding Activist Scholar for whom the award will have meaning and significance. In other words, the goal of the award is to honor someone whose “activist scholarship” has not been recognized in public ways by academia.
Additional Comments (if necessary)